JT wins independent award for having fastest mobile network in the Channel Islands

JT has once again been confirmed as the fastest mobile network in the Channel Islands and Internet Service Provider in Jersey by Ookla – the globally recognised leader in Internet performance testing and metrics for broadband and mobile networks.

Results from all networks across the Islands were analysed by Ookla. This is the world’s most popular Internet performance testing service. Consumer-initiated test results using Speedtest by Ookla confirm that JT has faster Speed Scores. Faster than any of its competitors.

The tests were carried out from April to September in 2017 using industry-approved methodology. Ookla’s results are widely trusted by regulators, trade groups and analysts. They are used by virtually every major mobile carrier and Internet Service Provider in the world. This includes being used by the GSMA.  Each day, over eight million tests are carried out on Speedtest. Their customers include Microsoft, Cisco and Vodafone.

JT will Continue to Invest

Daragh McDermott, Director of Corporate Affairs at JT, said: “The Channel Islands are well served by mobile and broadband operators. These results from Ookla simply help people decide who to choose.

“JT has invested tens of millions of pounds in our 4G and fibre networks across our islands. So, it is pleasing to receive a third-party endorsement confirming our investment is having a positive impact. But, we can never rest on our laurels. Evidently, as the Channel Islands’ only locally owned provider, JT will continue to invest. Therefore, ensuring that residents and businesses have resilient, reliable and speedy communications now and for the future.”

Jamie Steven, EVP of Operations at Ookla, said: “We at Speedtest by Ookla congratulate JT for the standout performance of their network speed. This is for a second year in a row. A reliable network and the internet are now integral to so many of our lives. Hence, it is already becoming difficult to imagine a world without it. JT is ensuring that the Channel Islands will remain at the leading edge of this digital revolution.”


Issued by Julien Morel at Direct Input. Telephone 01534 735253 or email julien@directinput.je


Speed Scores
Speed Score determines the top providers in The Speedtest Awards. This incorporates a measure of each provider’s download and upload speeds to rank network speed performance. (90% of the final Speed Score is attributed to download speed and the remaining 10% to upload speed). The Speed Score uses a modified trimean to demonstrate the download and upload speeds that are available across a provider’s network. We take speeds from the 10th percentile, 50th percentile (also known as the median), and 90th percentile. Then we combine them in a weighted average using a 1:2:1 ratio, respectively. So, we place the most emphasis on the download speeds and median speeds. This is because those represent what most network providers’ customers will experience on a day-to-day basis. Consequently, we will not issue an award if the Speed Score between the top and second place provider are within 1% of each other. www.speedtest.net/awards/methodology

JT is a full-service Tier-1 global consumer and also a business enterprise provider. They have over a 120-year’s heritage based in the Channel Islands.  Therefore, JT offers a domestic and global customer base a range of world-class services. This includes; voice and data; consultancy; co-location; leading-edge data hosting; internet; security; cloud back-up; fixed and mobile technologies; e-Gaming; M2M; Cloud Services (IaaS); fully managed IT services; and wholesale solutions.

Across 11 global locations, JT employs over 600 staff. Providing products and services to over 1.4 million global consumer subscribers and 2,177 active business customers. JT has an international presence across Europe, Asia and the United States. This has aided its evolution in becoming a leading supplier in roamed services.